lichess.org
Donate

FIDE Ratings are going to start from 1400 ! What's your opinion ?

Just a few weeks ago I heard a news that from January 2024, FIDE Ratings are going to start from 1400. That seems like a good news for me. Players below 2000 will only be affected by this rule. The rating change formula is :

(0.4) x (2000 - current rating) = New FIDE Rating

Read more on this link :
www.fide.com/news/2538
@GrandMaster3101 said in #1:
> Just a few weeks ago I heard a news that from January 2024, FIDE Ratings are going to start from 1400. That seems like a good news for me. Players below 2000 will only be affected by this rule. The rating change formula is :
>
> (0.4) x (2000 - current rating) = New FIDE Rating
>
> Read more on this link :
> www.fide.com/news/2538

So with your formula if im 1900, my New rating will be
0.4*(2000 - 1900) = 0.4*100= 40 elo.
Hum nice
@rookiefromthehood said in #2:
> So with your formula if im 1900, my New rating will be
> 0.4*(2000 - 1900) = 0.4*100= 40 elo.
> Hum nice

I was confused, so I looked it up:

The formula is not to calculate the absolute value of the new rating, but to calculate a one-off "rating boost" that each player below 2000 should get to.
So a 1900 player will get 40 extra points and have a new rating of 1940.
The title of the linked news item says "FIDE seeks public discussion about proposed rating changes". That's quite far from actually implementing that proposal.
@Magdiragdag said in #5:
> The title of the linked news item says "FIDE seeks public discussion about proposed rating changes". That's quite far from actually implementing that proposal.
I read the decision will be made in December by fide. Anyway I get the impression that it is already a done deal as I haven't seen any public discussions from fide. I hope that I am wrong but the fide-message more looks like a smoke-window.
@GrandMaster3101 said in #1:
"FIDE Ratings are going to start from 1400. That seems like a good news for me"
As a self made grandmaster, that's definately good news for you.
Sweet! I just gained 300 elo! I knew my hard work would pay off someday.
@Magdiragdag said in #5:
> The title of the linked news item says "FIDE seeks public discussion about proposed rating changes". That's quite far from actually implementing that proposal.

I also couldn't find any confirmation that this proposal was decided on.

@thunderclap You gave a downvote, do you have more information to share?
Great news, the change should have been made a long time ago.

It's good they are recognising the low starting rating is having a deflationary affect.

I have had clever stats whizzes on here try and tell me that Lichess 1500 start rating vs Chess.com 1200 doesn't affect
inflation because the system quickly pushes poor players down and the strong players up.

The initial rating of many thousands of players does affect inflation even if it's for a handful of games during the provisional period.

It's one of the reasons, but not all, why Lichess ratings are inflated.

Anything that helps to balance FIDE ratings closer to all the others is welcome.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.